Opportunities for Business
HACM utilizes Section 3 of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968 to ensure the provision of employment, training, contracting, and other economic opportunities to its residents and other low-income persons.
About Section 3 Business Concerns
Qualified businesses that meet Section 3 Business Concern requirements receive preference for contracts on HUD-funded projects. Section 3 Business Concerns are businesses that meet one of the following:
- 51 percent or more owned by Section 3 residents*; or
- At least 30 percent of full-time employees are currently Section 3 residents, or were Section 3 residents within three years of the date of first hire; or
- Provides evidence, as required, of a commitment to subcontract in excess of 25 percent of the dollar award of all subcontracts to business concerns that meet one of the first two qualifications above.
*Who qualifies as Section 3?
A Section 3 resident is:
- A public housing resident or Housing Choice Voucher holder; or
- An individual who resides in the metropolitan area in which the Section 3 covered assistance is expended, and is a low-income person or a very low-income person. The metropolitan area for HACM as determined by HUD is the "Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis Metropolitan Statistical Area," which includes residents of the four-county area of Milwaukee County, Waukesha County, Ozaukee County and Washington County in Wisconsin. A person or family qualifies as low-income if their income does not exceed 80% of the median income for the area as determined by HUD:
|1 person||2 person||3 person||4 person||5 person||6 person||7 person||8 person|
Register to be notified of Section 3 Contracting Opportunities
HACM utilizes the City of Milwaukee's SBE & SECTION 3 REGISTRY to notify contractors of Section 3 contracting opportunities. Please visit the registry to learn more and to register.
HACM also manages a Section 3 Resident Registry that allows any public housing resident, rent assistance participant, or other low-income individual in the metro-Milwaukee area to self-certify as Section 3 and provide information about their qualifications and skills. HACM and contractors will use the registry to contact Section 3 residents when there are new work positions available. The Section 3 Resident Registry can be accessed at Section3Registry.hacm.org.