Opportunities for Business
HACM utilizes Section 3 of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968 to ensure the provision of employment, training, contracting, and other economic opportunities to its residents and other low-income persons.
About Section 3 Business Concerns
Qualified businesses that meet Section 3 Business Concern requirements receive preference for contracts on HUD-funded projects. Section 3 Business Concerns are businesses that meet one of the following:
- 51 percent or more owned by Section 3 residents*; or
- At least 30 percent of full-time employees are currently Section 3 residents, or were Section 3 residents within three years of the date of first hire; or
- Provides evidence, as required, of a commitment to subcontract in excess of 25 percent of the dollar award of all subcontracts to business concerns that meet one of the first two qualifications above.
Who qualifies as Section 3?
A Section 3 resident is:
- A public housing resident or Housing Choice Voucher holder; or
- An individual who resides in the metropolitan area in which the Section 3 covered assistance is expended, and is a low-income person or a very low-income person. The metropolitan area for HACM as determined by HUD is the "Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis Metropolitan Statistical Area," which includes residents of the four-county area of Milwaukee County, Waukesha County, Ozaukee County and Washington County in Wisconsin. A person or family qualifies as low-income if their income does not exceed 80% of the median income for the area as determined by HUD:
|1 person||2 person||3 person||4 person||5 person||6 person||7 person||8 person|
Register to be notified of Section 3 Contracting Opportunities
HACM utilizes the City of Milwaukee's SBE & SECTION 3 REGISTRY to notify contractors of Section 3 contracting opportunities. Please visit the registry to learn more and to register.
HACM also manages a Section 3 Resident Registry that allows any public housing resident, rent assistance participant, or other low-income individual in the metro-Milwaukee area to self-certify as Section 3 and provide information about their qualifications and skills. HACM and contractors will use the registry to contact Section 3 residents when there are new work positions available. The Section 3 Resident Registry can be accessed at Section3Registry.hacm.org.